We are becoming too dependent on technology for our day to day needs. This has resulted us in overlooking the power of natural sciences.
In this article, I am going to highlight a natural remedy that can be quite effective while dealing with flies. And the best part about such remedies is that, unlike chemical methods they don’t pollute the environment.
So, here we go.
Creating your homemade fly repellent:
Follow the below steps to create your very own homemade fly repugnant:
Step 1 – Collect the things that you need:
To make this home-based fly repellent, you need following things:
1. ½ -1 cup of Lavender Oil. In case you don’t have Lavender Oil you could also use Citronella oil, Eucalyptus oil, Pennyroyal oil, Peppermint oil or Lemongrass oil. These oils have strong fly repellent properties and hence we are using them.
2. A tin can with a lid. This is required for holding the fly repellent.
3. A clean piece of cloth or a small piece of dish sponge. As we are relying on liquid repellents in this method, so the job of a cloth or sponge would be to absorb the liquid repellent and latter release it when required. This is better than directly pouring the repellent liquid in the tan can as it won’t spill the repellent in case the tin-can falls accidently.
Note 1: I would recommend you to go only with Lavender Oil as it is considered most effective against flies.
Note 2: If you are using any other oils apart from Lavender oil, then you have to dilute them with alcohol or water before using them. The details will be given in preparation and use section.
Step 2 – Preparation and Use:
1. First of all, take the piece of cloth or dish sponge and dip it in the Lavender oil.
If you are using any other oils like Citronella oil, Eucalyptus oil, Pennyroyal oil, Peppermint oil or Lemongrass oil. Then don’t use them directly. Dilute these oil with alcohol or water at a ratio at a ratio of 1 part oil to 3 parts water or alcohol. As, oils do not mix with water so it is better if you could use alcohol.
Try just to saturate the cloth with the oil and save the excess oil in some air tight container.
2. Next, put the cloth in the tin can, close the lid and wait for 24 hours.
3. After 24 hours, you can keep the tin-can at the fly infested place (preferably indoors). Whenever you need to use it just remove the lid, keep it open for few hours and you will notice that flies won’t be able to stand its aroma.
4. After each use make sure to replenish your fly repugnant, by adding few drops of oil, close the lid and your homemade fly repellent is ready for next use.
Note 3: Please note that you cannot use the above repellent directly on skin. Human skin is very sensitive and hence such concentrated oils could cause skin irritations. If you are planning to use this repellent on skin then make sure that your repellent is highly diluted (i.e. 1 part of oil with 10-20 parts of water).
So, this was all about making your homemade insect repellent. Please do let me know in case you have any queries related to the topic.
Have a nice day!